Oil care It is one of the actions that we must frequently take to maintain our motorcycle well. If you don’t take proper care of the your engine oil, it will not perform properly and could even be seriously damaged. The function of oil is to lubricate the main components of the motorcycle, in addition to reducing wear and heat produced by the engine and clutch.
Here are some points to consider for oil care:
1. If the amount of oil your motorcycle uses to lubricate the engine is small, it should be changed approximately every 2,000 km. If it is only for engine lubrication and the measurement is three or four liters, it is advisable to change every 5,000 km.
two. The lubricant of a car and that of a motorcycle is not the same, the oil lubricates the propellant and the gearbox, so different additives are required to those of a car. Unlike cars that is specific for gearboxes or clutches and that are not lubricated at the same time as the engine
3. There are three types of lubricants
- Lubricant Mineral, which has refined crude oil as a base.
- Synthetic lubricants, that use bases made by chemical reactions.
- Oils semi-synthetic, that are obtained from the careful mixture of a mineral base and a synthetic base. This produces, at a reasonable cost, high properties, as these oils retain the high performance characteristics of the synthetic base.
Four. The lubricant filter is used to prevent foreign particles and debris from entering and causing damage to the propeller. A clogged filter can reduce lubricant flow and ultimately cause engine failure.
5-Denominations 15W40, 5W40, etc.
Refers to SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) viscosity grades that differentiate 4-stroke engine oils in relation to their hot and cold viscosity characteristics. These grades are defined as follows:
– One degree in cold or winter, followed by the letter W. For example, 15W.
– A degree in heat or in summer. This figure comes after the winter qualification. For example 40.
The lower the winter grade number (0W, 5W, 10W, 15W, 20W, 25W), the more liquid the oil will hold at negative temperatures and therefore the easier it will be to start the engine in very cold weather.
The higher the summer grade number (20, 30, 40, 50, 60), the more viscous the oil remains at high temperatures (100 ° C) and thus provides more protection to the engine during heavy use.
Today’s engines are typically designed to operate with SAE 40 hot oil viscosity. In winter, in temperate countries, a SAE 15W cold grade is sufficient to facilitate starting. An SAE 15W40 oil is therefore suitable for temperatures between -10 ° and + 40 ° C.
6. You can mix oils of different brands, but not that of different viscosity.
Contenido Relacionado: como como encontrar el numero de pieza de un ford
Contenido Relacionado: coches como jimmy carter logro un patrimonio neto de 10 millones